Mount Hope, WI asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Wisconsin

Q: What kind of lawsuit would harassment, stolen Handgun, stolen car, loss of employment, threats, money owed, medical bil

I was with my girlfriend for 8.5 yrs and she on dec 28th 2017 cheated stole my gun and ring, made threatening and harassing phone calls, stole my car making me lose my job, owed money for moving and new car, and therapy costs. I start my job here in Wiscconsin tomorrow night. What should I do in this manner? I have proof of each listed above. I also have police reports to.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: I am not sure there is any specific type of lawsuit you may commence against your ex girlfriend. If you are trying to recover money for stolen items, you need to make sure that the cost of litigation is not going to outweigh the benefits. Above all, you also must make sure that when and if you prove your case, you are able to recover the money as the conduct you describe is probably not covered by any insurance policy. Even if there were a policy of insurance it appears from the little I know that such conduct would fall under the standard exclusions and therefore not covered. The end result is the same.

If it makes a difference that she faces the law, you need to consider whether or not you want her prosecuted and for what alleged crimes. It does not appear from what you stated that the police were involved. That would be your first step apart from, of course, documenting and witnesses who would back up your allegations in a credible manner.

I wish you luck and if you are new to Wisconsin, welcome to Wisconsin and best of luck in 2018 and beyond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.