Pittsburgh, PA asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for West Virginia

Q: House seller intentionally did not disclose active water leak, what should I do after house purchase?

Hi, I live in West Virginia and recently purchased a house. However, after we moved in, we found that there is an active leak in the master bathroom that's very serious, the repair estimate is around $7000. The seller seems to be aware of this active leak but did not disclose this condition in the seller disclosure form. What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Get a lawyer in West Virginia where the home is located. In other states where I practice, a material misrepresentation to a consumer in a real estate advertisement can result in treble damages, punitive damages, attorneys fees, and costs. I practice in VA, MD, and DC, but I know I have someone in Pittsburgh, and I believe I can refer you to someone in WV. Or, you could post your question on Avvo.com seeking real estate litigators wherever the house is located.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.