Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Idaho

Q: I inherited $ from a grandparent. I used part of the money to buy a vehicle. My ex says it's now 1/2 hers. True?

I live in Idaho. Is this my property because of this or is my ex entitled to 1/2? Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: The legal answer is always, "It depends".

In Utah, your inheritance is your inheritance. However, it does depend on whether you commingled your inheritance money with marital assets prior to your divorce. For example, did you put the money in a joint bank account before you purchased the vehicle? Did you put your ex's name on the title of the vehicle? Did you also use marital funds to purchase, repair, maintain or insure the vehicle? If so, it is likely that you commingled that part of your inheritance (the part used to buy the vehicle) with the marital estate, making it part of the marital estate, thus subjecting it to division in a divorce.

You need to consult with a qualified attorney with further specifics regarding your situation to get a fully informed and final answer to your question.

Kevin M Rogers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.