Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: What is the extent of extortion laws I. Colorado?

I found out that my sister forged and cashed 5 different checks that where payable to my husband, myself and our 3 children. The checks where valued at $1435 total.she endorsed them to herself and deposited them into her bank account. When I confronted her about it she asked me if we could handle it without the law involved and I was considering it. When she asked me what I wanted to make it right I told her that I thought the money that was taken from us and interest was fair. She then informed me that she was recording the conversation and says it's blackmail so it would be in my best interest to drop it and leave it alone. Did I unknowingly commit Extortion? I too recorded all our conversations.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Asking for interest and return of principal on the fraudulently obtained checks maybe wishful thinking, but I cannot see how any DA or police department would pursue criminal charges against you. However, your sister appears to adding to the list of her potential criminal charges beyond check fraud.

I would seriously consider the police about the check fraud and the other matters. You likely have a better chance at recovery via restitution tied to a criminal conviction than negotiating with your sister directly.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.