Altoona, PA asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I request for child support modification if my son turns 18 in September?

My ex-husband has recently obtained a job making more money than he was when our order was determined 3 years ago (he was unemployed then). Can I ask for a modification if it's only for 8 months?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: In Pennsylvania, child support is payable until a child reaches eighteen years old or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later. So even though your child is turning 18, the support obligation will not be terminated if your son is still in school.

In any event, you may file for a modification anytime there has been a change in circumstances (e.g., father's increase in income). Also important to note is the fact that a support modification will only be retroactive to the date of filing. Therefore, it is important to file sooner than later to avoid missing out on payments you may have otherwise been entitled to.

Please feel free to visit my website for more information on filing a support modification in Pennsylvania.

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.