Ketchikan, AK asked in Child Custody for Alaska

Q: if i have a court order granting me sole legal and primary physical custody can he live with me full time?

my son is about to turn 15 and wants to live with me full time. i was awarded sole legal and primary physical custody by the court. do i need to go back to court if he wants to live with me full time? there was no visitation schedule set in the court documents. with sole legal and primary physical can he decide for him self what visitation he wants?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: If "full time" is different from the schedule set out in your order, you need to either do a written, signed agreement with the other parent setting out the new schedule (assuming that's allowed in your order), or if you can't agree, then you need to file a Motion to Modify Custody to get your order changed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.