Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: My sons father hasn't contacted me in almost a year about our son. Can I file for abandonment?

He doesn't ever contact me about our son, we actually have zero contact. He is not on the birth certificate and we were unwed when my son was born.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: There isn't a cause of action called abandonment, but abandoning a child can be part of a claim form some specific relief. It seems like more information is needed.

What are you trying to accomplish? Getting child support from your son's father? Having another person adopt your child? If he isn't on the birth certificate and hasn't otherwise been found by a court or the state to be the father of this child, then he doesn't have rights as the legal father. What is it you are seeking to do?

Lydia Seifner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.