Gothenburg, NE asked in Family Law, Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Colorado

Q: My boyfriend and I want to get married. I’m 18 he’s 19. We live in Nebraska. If we go to CO can he get in trouble?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The Colorado marriage would only be valid if one or both parties of married couple were Colorado residents (permanently reside in Colorado for at least 91 days). If the residency requirement can be met in CO, the CO marriage can be transferred to NE (even though legal majority in NE is 19). An alternative to consider is Nevada, which still has the least restrictive residency requirements for marriage in the US (check to make sure you meet all the requirements in NV BEFORE you travel!).

There should be no legal concerns for marriage forum shopping, beyond knowingly providing false information in a marriage application (e.g. state of residency). Even then, the most likely punishment is invalidity of the marriage versus a criminal charge per se.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.