Cordova, TN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Hi! My daughter is 14 and we live in the state of Tennessee. She no longer wants to go over to her dads house.

Is she able to pick which house she can live at full time? She says she doesn’t feel safe over there. Her step mom has put her hands on her in the past. My daughter is bi sexual and she is getting shamed there to!

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Goodlettsville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You or she or both could be in violation of a court order if she doesn't spend time with her father as the order says. The facts you have described may be grounds for seeking a modification of the order though. You should consult an attorney.

A: Children are not allowed to make parenting decisions. If you and her father are unable to resolve the issues, seek outside assistance through mediation or the courts to modify your parenting schedule. If you have a parenting plan, it probably has a clause on how the plan can be modified. An attorney may or may or not necessary to accomplish your goal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.