Yorktown, VA asked in Elder Law for Virginia

Q: Is there any legal help to prevent my grandmother from going to the nursing home. I can care for her, family says no.

My grandmother has Alzheimer's and my uncle is talking about putting her in a home. She currently lives with my mom and he does not care for her. I f this happens is there any legal help for me to take over care for her to prevent her from going into a home? Due to my husbands military I am in a different state than her.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
Matthew Lane Kreitzer
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Winchester, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Yes, the process is known as a guardianship petition. Consult a local guardianship attorney for help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.