Saint Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Wisconsin

Q: My 17 year old was arrested for disorderly conduct in Wisconsin. What rights do I have as a parent in this situation?

He was arrested for disorderly conduct during his high school basketball game after removing his jersey and throwing it at his coach and then yelling and swearing and punching a locker on his way to the locker room. I understand that at 17 the state of Wisconsin considers him an adult for the purposes of criminal proceedings. What rights do I have as a parent in this matter? And what's the best and worst case scenarios for this first time offense?

2 Lawyer Answers

William F Sulton Esq.

  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Waukesha, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: You do not have rights, as the law defines that term. However, the situation is ridiculous and you should expect the charged to be dismissed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Aaron W Schenk

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Green Bay, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: I would say that YOU have no rights, per se. But, your son should exercise all the rights that HE has in fighting this prosecution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.