Milwaukee, WI asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin

Q: What kind of lawyer do I need?

I am not sure what kind of lawyer I need but I was in a car accident where I did hit a car and I was not insured now progressive is suing me. I am a low income mother of 3 and i need help to make sure I am not bullied in court or getting taken advantage of.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If I assume that you are being sued in Small Claims Court for an amount of damage that does not exceed $10,000.00, I would recommend you speak with and or retain someone who practices in Small Claims Court. Having said that, you may also wish to consult with a Bankruptcy lawyer but that will depend on a range of issues including what the extent of the damages Progressive is seeking and can get a judgment against you for, whether you have other debts that are significant enough for you to consider bankruptcy and other issues. I say this because from your writeup, you are a low income earner and mother of 3 who may not be able to pay any judgment Progressive gets against you and, of course, because you had no insurance, the State will or would have suspended your driving privileges until you pay the debt and also get insurance. All of these issues should be looked at by a Bankruptcy lawyer which, again, is going to depend upon what other debts you may have and the likelihood that you can comfortably pay these bills and continue to provide for your 3 children. The information you provided is not enough for me to provide you with more recommendations and I wish you success. Please make sure you do not miss any court dates because if you do, you may end up getting a judgment against you by Progressive without a hearing on the merits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.