Philadelphia, PA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: My child's mother is mentally unstable and I have proof,I want full custody how do i go about doing so?

My child's mother is suicidal and has threatened to kill herself. My child primarily lives with her and i feel she may be unsafe staying there. How should i go about the situation? She lives in NJ I live in PA

1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Marie Vari
Lisa Marie Vari
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: To start you must figure out which state has jurisdiction over the matter.

Jurisdiction is usually proper where the child has been residing for the past 6 consecutive months, so it sounds like that may be New Jersey in your case. If so, you will need to file for custody through the New Jersey courts and all matters will be litigated there unless they relinquish jurisdiction.

Lisa Marie Vari, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.