Moorhead, MN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Minnesota

Q: My ex wife signed my son up at Huntington learning center without my consent and is now demanding I pay my half of the

8000.00 bill. I, in no way, can afford this? am I liable for this bill?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

D. Patrick McCullough

  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It likely will depend upon what your Divorce Decree states or doesn't state.

Lisa Watson Cyr

  • Oakdale, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If your decree does not specifically require you to contribute to this type of expense, then there is a good chance you would not be held liable, especially where your ex-wife incurred the expense on behalf of your child without your knowledge or advance agreement.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.