Reedsport, OR asked in Child Support, Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: 16 years ago I had a one night stand with a woman and recently, the local child support agency contacted me.

I don't remember her, I think I met her at a bar? She is claiming i'm the father of her child. The paternity has not been confirmed however, what rights do i have? I've confirmed through the paperwork, i'm not on the birth certificate. Can I sue her for keeping the child a secret after all these years? and if the child turns out not to be mine, can i sue her for pain and suffering? It just doesn't seem fair that she can come after me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Get a blood test and find out if the child is yours first. It may not be. Please understand that this women may not actually know that you are the father. What happens is that when someone applies for welfare the State may force the to name a father as a condition of receiving government benefits because the State's position is that two parents have to support a child before the State picks up the bill. So this is probably being driven by a State Agency looking for reimbursement. The women may have just given them a list of possible father's and they are going down the list. So don't get too excited until the DNA test comes back.

As for what damages you may have for not getting notified earlier, that is an interesting theory that I haven't looked into before. It is something that an Attorney could research and see if there are damages. There have been torts called "alienation of affection" but that applied to spouses and has mostly been abolished. There may be some thing about a tortuous interference with or alienation of a parents rights buried in the Oregon case law that some Attorney can help you find and use. It just isn't something commonly litigated these days.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.