Neenah, WI asked in Animal / Dog Law for Wisconsin

Q: If I surrender my dog will I have to pay citation we don't have the money?

My dog got out over a year ago we got a warning he got out again today and I was issued a citation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: What did the citation say? If you were cited because your dog was off the premises which offense you were previously warned would result in a citation if there were future violations, you need to retain someone who practices in the area about such matters so that they may, in turn, represent you. Alternatively, and because you indicated that you don't have the money, you may have to consider calling the city attorney for the city in which you reside and find out when s/he would be available to discuss the matter with you. Also, and if there is a return date on the citation, you need to find out from their office if the city attorney would be available to discuss the matter on that return date prior to the case being called. I believe that it is at that point or time that you would be able to discuss with the city attorney and provide the facts and circumstances which may have led to this violation remembering that you must be honest and also show that you made a good faith effort to be compliant. Without more facts, this commentary cannot go beyond what I have indicated. I also must tell you that this response does not constitute legal advice and no attorney-client privilege is created by virtue of this response. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.