Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Legal Malpractice for Tennessee

Q: What forms are needed to file for a replacement of appointed attorney with a different appointed attorney?

My court appointed attorney has not presented crucial evidence in my case with dcs and an abuse based on neglect ruling was made because of it. He refused to appeal. Now the dcs is defying court orders that are necessary to get my child home, they are refusing to provide me copies of court orders and cftm meetings, which by law I have the right to. They are refusing to allow me to be informed and present at my child's medical appointments which is also court ordered. My attorney knows and has do e nothing to rectify. He goes months without contacting me until dcs has a problem with me

1 Lawyer Answer

A: Rarely will a court appointed attorney be replaced with different appointed counsel. I am not aware of any "forms" for doing so. Before you do anything, ask yourself if you have fully cooperated with your attorney and what part you have in the matter not being resolved. If you genuinely believe you have not been represented responsibly and zealously, you can file a complaint with the court and with the Board of Professional Responsibility to make them aware of what you believe is ineffective assistance of counsel. The best remedy is to hire an experienced attorney familiar with juvenile law in your area. Or simply cooperate with DCS. The Department usually wants parents to raise their own children and it makes efforts to reunify families.

Marjorie A Bristol agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.