Portland, OR asked in Car Accidents and Legal Malpractice for Oregon

Q: What are my options if my lawyer refuses to give me the 50/50 we agreed on

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First of all make sure you understand what your lawyer is stating about your agreement. Most agreements have an additional clause that the client must pay expenses out of the client's share of the recovery. So if that is what is going on your share would be 1/2 minus the expenses. There also can be liens on a recover that have to be paid no matter what and that reduces the amount left. So if there is a dispute over how to figure out what the wording of the contract is in terms of what your 1/2 ultimately means, I would highly recommend that you and your lawyer use the Oregon State bar's fee mediation service. Follow this link to get more information: http://www.osbar.org/feedisputeresolution. Finally you could file a complaint with the Oregon State Bar but I would only do that as a last resort. It is really a nasty thing to do to your lawyer. I strongly recommend using the fee dispute resolution service first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.