Auburn, NE asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: My 17 year old daughter is pregnant. I want custody of baby or power of attorney. Is that possible? She will be 18 when

Neither have a job, I pay for everything, and found out insurance does not cover her pregnancy today.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The child is not an adult until 19 in Nebraska. Power of attorney over the child that is not born is not allowed. You should contact social services and see about getting support for the medical delivery and the father will be required to pay for the medical share. The child once born should be turned over to you to raise at least until the mother is 19, or the father is given custody since he is an adult.

Julie Fowler agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.