Monee, IL asked in DUI / DWI and Intellectual Property for Illinois

Q: How can I get another attorney due to attorney hired not responding and judge is demanding attorney and won't assign PD

I hired an attorney for a DUI case, i was making monthly payments and he always showed up for court. I made final payment in December, attorney did not show up for january or feburary court date. on february court date asked judge for public defender judge says he can not assign public defender unless my attorney withdraws but I cannot get a hold of my attorney, he will not return phone calls or answer phone. I need to know how to proceed if judge is telling me to bring my attorney but i can't find my attorney

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Madam or Sir:

That is unfortunate. I suggest that you first contact the Illinois State Bar association. They may be able to provide new contact information or clarify your attorney's status. If that fails, I suggest that you next contact the Illinois Board of Bar Overseers to discuss your situation and how you might rectify it.

Good luck with your case.

Larry Davis
Larry Davis
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Northfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Your attorney has an ethical and professional obligation to appear if he has filed an appearance on your behalf. Advise the judge that your attorney has failed to respond to your attempts to reach him and has failed to appear at your last 2 court appearances.

The Court should then take steps to order the attorneys appearance. You may also reach out to the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission. By going to their website you can check the attorney's contact information and registration status and if necessary file a Complaint. Good Luck.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.