Silver Spring, MD asked in Car Accidents for Kansas

Q: My Daughter is a single Mother and got caught stealing and leaving the scene of an accident. Help!

My Daughter stole to pay rent since she was an unemployed Mother of 3. The officer arrested her and gave her citations for stealing and resisting arrest. She didn't go to court so a warrant was issued. She got a job with a health and wellness program where she got to drive the company truck. Last November she was turning left at a "T" in the road and hit an oncoming car. She fled the scene of the accident. She knew this was wrong but she was scared. After this happened my wife paid her bond to of $500 for the previous warrants and then my Daughter turned herself in. The resulting tickets issued were DUTY OF DRVR IN ACC, CARELESS DRIVING, DUTY DRV-ACC INV PRO DAM and NO INSURANCE. She is scheduled to go to court for the stealing and resisting on 3/14/18 and the 4 citations from the accident on 3/13/18. She was appointed an Attorney for the 4 tickets from the accident but she was told that assistance wasn't available for the stealing and resisting arrest. Kansas City, MO

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Not sure why she couldn't get a public defender for the theft & resisting charges. She needs to see why that is. It will help if she checks with the bar association to see if there are any volunteer attorneys etc. That way if she goes to court she can tell the judge what she did to find an attorney herself, and ask that she get the public defender.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.