Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law for Minnesota

Q: Want to go back to my maiden name and hyphenate my son (3)to my maiden and my ex’s last name. Will a judge allow it?

Ex is against it. The divorce was defaulted because he didn’t show up or respond. We have 50/50 legal custody, I have 100% physical custody with him having supervised visatuon. He sees my son once to twice a month (whenever he asks) and he doesn’t pay any child support. Has nothing to do with my son other than the few hours my son spends at his parents house with him once or twice a month. My ex says he will fight it and show up to court this time if I try to do this. I want the same last name as my son, but hate having my exes last name still. Do you think a judge would allow my sons last name to be hyphanted to my maiden name and my exes name, even if my ex doesn’t agree?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Watson Cyr
Lisa Watson Cyr
  • Oakdale, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: To seek a name change for your minor child, you will need to follow the correct procedure. The following link provides the forms and instructions you would need if you plan to seek the name change for your son without an attorney:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.