Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law and Child Support for Minnesota

Q: What does extracurricular activities above and beyond the standard schooling curriculum include?

I'm paying $1,800 a month in child support and then it says as additional child support the parties agree to equally share the costs of extracurricular activities above and beyond the standard schooling curriculum. I am wondering what that includes? My ex-wife is signing the kids up for voice lessons, guitar lessons, piano lessons, Girl Scout trips to other states, soccer camp, summer soccer! She does this without talking to me about any of it first I just get the bills for half of it. She is signing them up for everything. Am I legally responsible for paying for all of that isn't that what my child support of $1,800 a month should be paying for. I read that extracurricular actually means extra help in school such as for Disabilities Etc. Please help me figure out what to do I am living in North Dakota now and I'm not sure of the Minnesota laws.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lisa Watson Cyr
Lisa Watson Cyr
  • Oakdale, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: An agreement to share extracurricular activity expenses is an obligation that is in addition to the guideline basic, medical and childcare support order. Based on the information you provided, it appears you and your ex-wife agreed to equally share the cost of extracurricular activities for the children without defining exactly what those activities include. Without any specific activities identified in your decree, "extracurricular activities" may include all of the activities you indicate the children are being signed up for by your ex-wife. If your decree requires you and your ex-wife to mutually agree upon extracurricular activities for your children, you may not be financially responsible for those activities she enrolled the children without your prior approval. Even if your decree does not limit extracurricular activities to those mutually agreed upon, you may be relieved of the obligation to pay for some of the activities if they are deemed excessive and not representative of what the children had historically done. You would likely benefit from having an experienced family law lawyer review your divorce decree to provide you a more detailed analysis of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.