Kansas City, MO asked in DUI / DWI for Kansas

Q: If someone passes the intoxilyzer 9000 and does not conduct a blood sample, is it still legal to give them a DUI?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Leininger
Brian Leininger
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Overland Park, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Yes, it happens quite often. When you say "passes the Intoxilyzer" I assume you mean the person blew under .08. The officer can still charge the driver with DUI if the officer believes he or she is under the influence to the degree that he or she is incapable of safely driving. This happens quite often when the breath test result is not much under .08.

A driver can also be charged with driving under the influence of drugs, whether it is illegal drugs or prescription drugs. Even a driver who shows no alcohol on a breath test can be charged with DUI in this way. Sometimes a DUI is charged is the officer thinks the driver is impaired by a combination of alcohol and drugs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.