Acworth, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Minnesota

Q: Help with family law, i have an existing custody and visitation court order since 2009. How do I do a modification?

I moved out of state and have requested to see my child multiple times but the mother refused, Judge suggested mediation but it still didnt work due to the mother using the child as a pawn. How do I request modification and uninterupted telephone and visitation access to my child? I also need a strong Attorney to help get my fathers right to my child

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

D. Patrick McCullough

  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Assuming you are a good parent, the court would likely enforce and perhaps modify your time with your child now that you have moved out of state and the existing schedule is no longer practical. You will need to bring a Motion to be heard by a judge to make those changes.

Lisa Watson Cyr

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Oakdale, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If your current parenting time order was based on you living in state, then you likely will need to seek a modification of the parenting time so that it is a better fit for your current circumstances. You can seek a modification of parenting time by bringing a motion. A child deserves to have the benefit of a healthy, stable relationship with both parents.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.