Oak Ridge, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can a lawyer force you to plead out on a high class felony when you do not understand charge or what they changed it to

I was charged with conspiracy with intent to deliver methamphetamines I was charged with this charge due to phone calls to a young man who was them taken into custody by feds. Hired an attorney we went to court a couple of times I was getting ready to go to rehab trying to get into rehab I'm disabled I draw disability and I have Medicare Medicaid it's very hard to find a rehab to take someone like this and I've been working on it for over a year I had pneumonia and was sick for about actually I was sick for a month-and-a-half and I didn't get to get in rehab because I was sick we went back to court and a lawyer went in to get more time come back out and it was like talking to a different person he forced me into taking a plea I've not been in a lot of trouble so I really don't know everything there is to know but he forced me to plead you something I should have never received I have three felonies from 12 years ago I haven't been in trouble in any time since I'm confused

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence James Arnkoff
Lawrence James Arnkoff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The short answer is no. Nobody can force you to plead guilty. In federal court

The change of plea requirements are strict to protect defendants from involuntarily

Pleading guilty. Lawyers can advise you but they cannot force you to plead guilty.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.