Palatine, IL asked in Health Care Law and Estate Planning for Tennessee

Q: How can I get my father mental health services?

He was diagnosed 30 years ago with Bipolar Disorder and has been off his medication for the past 6-7 years. He has been homeless and last year we were able to get him a house. He was living well on his own until about 2 weeks ago. He has taken a sudden turn for the worse. He refuses to go to the doctor and does not believe that there is anything wrong with him. Last week my sister received a phone call from the Clarksville police telling her that he had been wandering the streets and neighbors yards in the middle of the night, and that this was the third time that they had been called in the same day. I am also afraid that he is not sleeping or eating well.

1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol
  • Goodlettsville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can ask the court to appoint you as his conservator. There are mental health services including mental health case managers to help, but unless you are his conservator, he can refuse those services.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.