Indianapolis, IN asked in Contracts and Small Claims for Oregon

Q: I got screwed out of some money by a "friend.". For me, it's a lot. I sure could use it returned.

This is what happened.

On February 19, 2014, I loaned $2,500 to a friend of mine living and going to college in

Portland. His name is DW. He was born on August 3, 1984. He asked for

the financial help and promised to pay me back and stay in touch with me. I knew him when I lived in Chicago a few years back. We exchanged maybe two or three emails in February 2014. He was in his last semester of college in Portland and needed to come up with the $2,500 to complete his tuition bill for his last semester. He told me he was a teacher's assistant at

an elementary school and once he got his degree, he had a position at a middle school already lined up. He said he would be able to repay me by May 2014.

I'm not kidding once he got the money, he ceased communicating with me. He fell off the grid. He promised to stay in touch and since that time - I tried to communicate with him without any success connecting. He is located in Portland, Oregon.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First and foremost, do you have this loan in a signed writing? You likely have a few issues to consider. If you are local, you can simply sue him in small claims court - fast, comparatively cheap, and a Judgment is just as enforceable as one from regular circuit court. If you don't, you would need to use an attorney and would likely cost more than the amount you are owed. You likely could set the case up in advance such that if you won in court, you would not only win the $2500 owed, but also your attorney's fees, so it might not be a deal killer per se. Either way however, you still need to be able to find him to serve him with the court papers and the real issue is whether you would ever be able to collect the money even if you got a Judgment. If not, you would just be throwing good money after bad. If you think you can, it may be worth the effort. Bottom line is the only way you can forcibly collect is to sue him in a local Portland court, either small claims or regular circuit court with an attorney. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.