Wayne, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: I need Pre-Nup advice

I was married in Dallas 18 years ago. Neither of us lives there now. Out of no where, my husband just demanded an “amicable” divorce, ie. we have a pre nup.

I think he is rushing because he may have reason to believe it can be invalidated.

I do not have his kind of money. How can I get some free or low cost advice. I am not in the welfare category but I need what I have to live on. He has loads of dough and will take advantage of me.

Any direction toward which you can point me would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick J Cooper
Patrick J Cooper
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: First, you should consult with an experienced local divorce attorney. Make sure that you bring a copy of your pre-nuptial agreement to the consultation. Some attorneys offer a free initial consultation and some charge a fee. Either way, if you consult with the right attorney, that will be time and money well spent.

Depending on the terms of your pre-nuptial agreement, you may be entitled to receive spousal support or alimony pendente lite (alimony pending the litigation). It is also possible that your pre-nuptial agreement may be able to be "set aside." The invalidation of a pre-nuptial agreement would necessitate that you satisfy some very specific requirements. The facts surrounding the disclosure of assets and debts, drafting, and execution of the agreement would all need to be evaluated by an experienced divorce lawyer.

I wish you all the best during this difficult time and I urge you to seek qualified legal counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.