Ogden, UT asked in Adoption for Utah

Q: How do I go about adopting a young man who I have been guardian of for twelve of his thirteen years?

When the young man first came into my life, his mother had been caring for him. Soon after, the mother signed her parental rights over to the father. The father lives here in Utah, and has only seen him four or fives times in twelve years with no support. The mother now lives in New Mexico. She has seen the young man several times over the years for a couple days at a time. The mother also has not contributed to the support of the young man. I alone (I am a single man) have supported the young man for the twelve plus years. The young man does want me to adopt him. What steps do I need to take and is it a costly endeavor? Note: This is not a court ordered guardianship. The mother and father have never been married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kaysville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Great questions, but in order to answer your questions, there are a lot of personal questions I need to ask you, which I am sure you don't want out in the open. Please call our office at 801-546-3874 and ask for myself, Jason Barnes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.