Juneau, AK asked in Child Custody for Alaska

Q: The father of my child wants to sign his parental rights over to his mother. Is this legal?

He claims he's joining the National Guard and he's been asked to relinquish his rights. Therefore, he wants to sign them over to his mother.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Licensed in Alaska

A: He could either mean adoption or guardianship. Adoption is permanent, guardianship isn't. Either one would require your consent or clear evidence that you have failed to maintain a relationship with and support the child, or that returning the child to your care would be dangerous to the child. If you are a safe caregiver who's involved in the child's life, then whatever he does can't change your rights without your consent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.