Hixson, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: What will happen to me? I was caught stealing merchandise at a store.

Earlier today I was walking around Belk with my mother and noticed a pair of earrings that I liked. I didn't even look at the price. I just took them off of the little tag they were on and put them in my ears because I didn't want to buy them and didn't want to ask my mother to buy them. I understand this was obviously a horrible thing to do morally, but with money being as tight as it is, I just simply did it. There's no excuse for stealing and there's no way I can justify it, but I'm worried about my future and my career. Loss Prevention stopped me before we exited the store and confronted my mother about it. He asked us to come to the back and discuss the issue and said that he would have to have me sign some paperwork and speak to a mall police officer as well as a "real" police officer. They all wrote down my info and informed me that I'd be banned from the store and all CBL properties for at least 6 months (Belk for 1 year). I instantly gave them back the items but I am scared.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence James Arnkoff
Lawrence James Arnkoff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If u have no criminal history this does not need to be a nightmare. You

Should be eligible for a diversion or a retirement if your case is properly

Negotiated with the district attorney's office. That will leave u with a dismissal

And the opportunity to expunge your record. Hiring an experienced criminal

Attorney would help insure u get the right result.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.