Boise, ID asked in Probate for Idaho

Q: Do I have to sign a disclaimer of interest on my mothers estate/probate in FL? And if I don't what will happen?

My mother passed Nov 8th 2017 without a valid will. My brother hired a probate attorney and insists I have to sign a disclaimer of interest. Matter of fact he has become very verbally abusive over it. He claims everything is, van, all my mothers belongings. My other brother and sister signed from what he says. I live 3000 miles away and I am unable to go down to the the court house and look at what was filed. I also need to add I was legally adopted back in 1975. And the probate attorney will not except my certified birth certificate. she says she wants a copy of my adoption papers which could take years to unseal my records. the probate attorney seems very bias/ she is my brothers friend. I didn't even know about the probate being filed until another family member mentioned it to me. The probate attorney refuses to speak with me even though I provided her with my legal birth certificate an valid DL. My brother is claiming if I don't sign the creditors will take the house.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Hales
Michael Hales
  • Rexburg, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: This is interesting since I'm licensed in Idaho and Florida. Although I haven't done a lot of probate work, it seems that there are a couple of red flags here. I'd recommend having your own attorney review the progress of the case thus far. If you need a referral for an attorney in Florida, let me know.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.