Pittsburg, KS asked in Estate Planning and Foreclosure for Kansas

Q: Does my brother have to surrender the house he has lived in for the last 8 years taking care of his mother in home

he has been the sole caretaker and this has been his home. If he must surrender this, he will be homeless. His name was placed on the deed 20 years ago

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Your brother should consult with an attorney regarding the Medicaid eligibility issues that may relate to the situation. A home of a Medicaid recipient may be transferred to an adult child who has lived with the Medicaid applicant for the two years prior to going into the nursing home and the child has made it possible for the parent to live in the home longer than he or she would have been able to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.