Bristol, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Both parties are consenting to divorce but have been separated for 10 years. Does the 90 day waiting period still count?

My fiance has been separated from his wife for over 13 years. She is consenting to the divorce. We are just wondering if we still needed to the 90 days after we filed the affidavit of service or can we go ahead and proceed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick J Cooper
Patrick J Cooper
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This is a great question. Unfortunately the rules of procedure in divorce cases can be confusing.

The Pennsylvania Divorce Code requires different waiting periods depending on the parties' date of separation. Once the parties have been separated for over one or two years (depending on their date of separation the waiting period varies) then either spouse can file an affidavit with the court stating the date of separation which then must be served on the other party in the same manner as the divorce complaint. If the other party does not contest that date of separation or voluntarily waives any further notice prior to finalization of the case then If you did not do this yet then you would need to go back and do it before you could try to proceed under section 3301(d) of the Code.

Otherwise, if you are willing to wait the extra time, you can wait until the 90 day waiting period has expired and move forward under section 3301(c) of the Code.

My best advice here would be to hire an experienced divorce attorney to make sure that the case is finalized as quickly and with as few headaches as possible.

-Patrick J. Cooper, Esquire

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.