Irvington, NJ asked in Animal / Dog Law for New Jersey

Q: I left my dog in my old apartment while moving for a few hours he got stuck bedroom and cops came and removed him

Neighbors called the cops for him crying as he locked himself in the room while I was at my new apartment unpacking I returned about 6 hours later and he was gone what do I do ? The police said there was feces and pee on the floor and are trying to give me an animal cruelty charge but simply he closed the door on himself and couldn’t get out so he started to cry I don’t know what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: More information is needed, but you need to hire a lawyer generally this charge comes with up to 180 days in jail, $1000 fine and probation and community service. Most of us criminal lawyers offer a free in office consultation, I suggest you set one up ASAP.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.