Kansas City, MO asked in Tax Law for Kansas

Q: Is there a statute of limitations for the IRS collecting back taxes? Even if I have been making payments for 8 yrs?

I owe taxes from TY 2008 and 2009. The debt with fines and interest is approaching 60K. I entered an installment agreement in 2010 and have been making $50 monthly payments since then. I want to try an offer in compromise, but don't know if I should, since there may be a 10 year statute of limitations.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: They have 10 years after assessment to collect. The statute of limitations can be tolled (stopped) or extended by filing an offer in compromise, requesting a collection due process hearing, or seeking innocent spouse relief, among others. It may be to your benefit to discuss this with an attorney who can review your tax records and see if it is worth stopping the statute to submit an offer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.