Merrillville, IN asked in Collections for Indiana

Q: i received a summons from my local court. i am being sued for a personal debt for non-payment. can i be forced to pay?

i received a summons from my local court. i am being sued for a personal debt for non-payment. i am on social security disability, and if i understand correctly, my benefits can not be garnished since i have the money deposited directly into my checking account. but, can a judge still force me to pay the debt or make partial payments, or force me to settle?

Thank you for your answer. Right now, I am expected within 20 days to answer the summons. I was told by the court clerk I could go into the courthouse and do that in person. I do plan to do this, and go to court if I am summoned.

I'm not sure what to tell anyone on these forms. My question therefore is, I understand Social Security Disability benefits can not be garnished, but can a judge still force me to pay or make payment arrangements?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If you are being sued on a debt and you have received a summons you still need to go even if you are on disability, have a limited income or are indigent. You can still be sued even if you are indigent or do not have the means to pay. Do not ignore a court summons. If you are indigent it is most likely the case that the plaintiff will not be able to collect, but that is a decision the judge will make.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.