Asked in Collections, Federal Crimes and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: I sold a motorcycle on Craigslist for 2200.00 and was paid in fake money. What can I do? I'm in kansas.

I'm in Kansas the buyer was from Missouri and transaction was done in Missouri if that makes a difference.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your challenges are the following: 1. Identifying and locating the buyer. 2. Getting a judgment against the buyer. 3. Collecting the judgment.

Without knowing more facts, it is tough to decide what options make sense for you. It's probably only worth suing if the the judgment is collectible.

You could report the counterfeiting to local law enforcement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.