Indianapolis, IN asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Indiana

Q: Hello, we need to transfer a deed from my passed grandma to my father, what forms do we need to fill in indiana

we have 4 houses that are under my passed grandma, we need to transfer her name to my father name as soon as possible before anything happens to the houses. we need to know what information i need to fill in the state of Indiana to do this process, i have contact the county assessor but the wont give me an answer i just need to know what forms i need to file.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your grandmother passed away and the houses were in her name only you are going to have to open up a probate estate to transfer them to your father. Once an executor or personal representative has been appointed it will be up to him or her to review your grandmother's estate and determine who is entitled to the property.

If the title of the houses were held in the name of a trust you need to consult with the trustee of that trust and determine who is entitled to the property.

In either instance you should consult with a probate attorney to help you figure out your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.