Jefferson City, MO asked in Wrongful Death for Missouri

Q: Can anyone help me to defend against a wrongful death charge?

My husband and I have a civil case against us. My husband was only protecting himself in our home. He was found not guilty of anything criminally. I used everything I had to hire a lawyer to take the criminal case. I need help and can't find it. There was no home owners insurance at the time. It was our daughter's husband. A verbal exchange happened, my husband asked him to leave several times, he went to exit and then turned to attack my husband. My husband spent 2 years and ten months in county jail, 3 trial dates to prove he was only protecting himself. My daughter(the spouse) is not part of this. It is his parents that have filed the suit.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: First, if you have homeowners that should cover you and they would get you an attorney for the case. Second, talk to a bankruptcy attorney. Also if the intruder was slain with a weapon there are Second Amendment legal foundations that will sometimes help.

See if your county bar association's lawyer referral service can at least get you to a volunteer free consultation so you know what is and is not a legal paper, what you have to do to avoid a judgment by default etc--and do this NOW right after you call the homeowners.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.