Asked in Probate for Indiana

Q: how do i locate a will that was drawn up at a university law faculty? someone has a copy, but refuses to make it known

my finance's son has a copy of the will, but does not want me to have it so i can proceed with things, what can i do? this is in indiana. county court has no record of will, also if will was drawn up at mauer law school bloomington where will they have submitted it. which county?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If you believe that someone at the Mauer Law School has a copy of the will, you need to ask them if they have a copy and to submit it to the court. Please note that lawyers are not required to keep copies of wills they have executed.

If you know for a fact that a person has a will but will not probate it or turn it over to the court, you need to petition the court where the deceased was domiciled to force the person suspected of holding the will to turn it over to the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.