Elk River, MN asked in Divorce for Minnesota

Q: My husband told me he wanted a divorce a week ago. He has not filled as far as I know. He also won't leave the house.

He wont leave the house. He is the one that once the divorce, but he wont leave. I take care of my elderly father and I have a child not from him. I have 3 people to think about when he has one. I want to move out because i dont want to deal with the emotional abuse, but is that the smartest move for me? Please help. Direct me in the right direction. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Patrick McCullough
D. Patrick McCullough
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: If, in the end you wish to be awarded the house and live there, it would be a mistake to move out(of course if there is danger of Domestic Abuse-that could change things). I would need to know much more about your situation before I could give you the appropriate advice. You should consult with an atty well versed in family law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.