Kittanning, PA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Pennsylvania

Q: I live in pa. Can I take my son an move out of state? There is no custody order

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Padanyi
Dawn Padanyi
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Pennsylvania has a relocation law that states the party seeking to relocate must provide notification and an opportunity to respond to anyone that has custodial rights to the child. If there is a parent who's parental rights to the child have not been terminated that you need to comply with the relocation law prior to relocating. The law is 23 Pa.C.S. § 5337. Consult with a local attorney to assist you further as the steps can get complicated.

Kathryn Hilbush agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.