Pineville, MO asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Juvenile Law for Missouri

Q: Ex-husband punched son in the face while I was talking to my son on the phone. The call was recorded. Police did nothing

My son had a bruise/redness/scratch by left eye. He also slapped the right side of his face leaving handprint and bloodied his lip. The police officer didn't believe my son, even though I told them the incident had been recorded. No pics taken by officer, I took some inside the police station. No charges filed, no report made to child abuse hotline by the officer. Ex-husband is a police officer and is friends with the responding officer... Was this handled appropriately?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Juvenile Law Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If the officer did not call social services, then you should. Also contact an attorney local to you ASAP about seeking a child protection order for your son and possibly to modify you custody order so you son is not living with your ex.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.