Murfreesboro, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Can I get in legal trouble if my girlfriend and I continue talking after being contacted by an officer of the law?

Today I was consulted by an officer stating that my girlfriend (13) and I (18) are no longer allowed to have any form of contact. No messaging, no calling. The officer did not specify that there was a restraining order in place, he simply said I have to cease all contact with her. Can the law really do anything if there is no restraining order and we are not sexually active? If so, what can be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence James Arnkoff
Lawrence James Arnkoff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: The answer is YES they can. IF you were told that, then there must be a stay away order

in place. No contact means no contact. If she calls or texts you be sure to keep a record

of the transaction on your phone. You aren't liable if she violates the order by contacting you

but you cannot use that as an excuse to reply. Your best bet is to find an experienced lawyer

who can get the stay away order lifted.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.