Woodridge, IL asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: My ex-wife has enrolled our children in counseling. Can she do this without my legal consent?

We have joint legal and physical custody. I have asked her for the reason why she has them in counseling and she will not provide any information. My children are under my insurance and I have not consented to them being treated for this non emergency medical treatment. Can she legally continue without my consent? Do i have the right to contact the counselors and cancel any appointments?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
D. Patrick McCullough
D. Patrick McCullough
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Paul, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You may not wish to cancel any appointments until you first consult with the counselor to see if your children need counseling; however, unless your Divorce Decree provides otherwise, if you have joint Physical and Legal custody, your X should not enroll your children in counseling without your consent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.