Asked in Child Custody and Adoption for Indiana

Q: Trying to get guardianship of my friends son. He's lived with me for 2 years now. But I don't know if the dad will

How would I go about doing it, if the dad won't sign. He hasn't been in his life since the boy was 6months old. He is now almost 3.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Based on your question it sounds like you need to file a motion with the court for guardianship of the minor child. If the Father is contesting it then the court will decide what is in the child's best interest. That is the standard in Indiana, the child's best interest in matters like these. Additionally, courts are reluctant to take away or give custody to another if the biological parents are involved in the child's life and are fit to be parents.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.