Salt Lake City, UT asked in Adoption for Utah

Q: Husband previously married and raised ex's daughter as his own. Can he still adopt even though married to others now?

Mother doesn't know father of child. Married my now husband when child was very young and he raised child as his own. They divorced when she was about 5 but he continues to raise her by paying non-mandated child support and has custody every weekend. None of this is legally mandated as they never got around to having him adopt the child while they were married. The mother of the child has now remarried, and he has remarried, but he would like to adopt the child as his own. What are the stipulations to having him adopt the child at this point?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason F. Barnes
Jason F. Barnes
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kaysville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Yes, there is a chance that he could adopt her. Give us a call so we can discuss this in detail and more fully determine the answer to your question.

PH: 801-546-3874

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.