Lafayette, IN asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: Help with absent father who threatens court with me.

My daughters father has not paid child support, he goes months without contacting her, shes 2, and months without seeing her. He will text me a couple days before he wishes to see her and when i tell him that i have plans he gets upset and says that its my fault he doesn't have a relationship with her and that my daughter will grow up to resent me for it? I believe that he has an alcohol problem, he owns a gun and jokes about shooting people, and he was a FTA warrant out for his arrest from 2014. I am in a very committed relationship and when we get married he wants to adopt my daughter. What should i do?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Mario Acosta Jr.
John Mario Acosta Jr.
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: When you get married and your significant other wants to adopt the child you must first terminate the biological parents rights first and then put the adoption through. The termination can be consented to or contested and if contested then a hearing will have to be conducted to see what is in the child's best interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.